2009年3月29日星期日

Thich Nhat Hanh's Letter to KFC

Dear Mr. Novak,

I hope that this letter finds you in good health.

I have heard reports that KFC's suppliers cut the throats of conscious chickens, that many birds are still conscious when they are sent through scalding water, and that KFC refuses to persuade its suppliers to use methods that are more humane both for the chickens and for the humans who handle them. It also has been reported to me that chickens raised for KFC are genetically and pharmacologically manipulated to grow so unnaturally large, so quickly, that they are crippled by their own body weight. These are very distressing things to contemplate.

I have offered retreats for business leaders such as yourself; many of my friends are businesspeople too, and I understand the pressures you must be under. I also am certain that you do have a heart of compassion. If these reports are true, please, stop and reconsider. No feeling creature should be treated so cruelly. Treating chickens with brutality not only hurts every one of those birds; it hurts every one of us, including you yourself, and even your loved ones. If you look deeply, I am sure you will see this clearly and you will be determined to find another way. I believe you know already in your heart that our success in life cannot be measured in dollars and cents alone.

Please, reflect on this and do your best, at least to implement the recommendations of your own animal welfare advisors. I am here for you, as well, and would be glad to hear from you.

Thank you dear friend, for taking the time to read this letter.

Thich Nhat Hanh (Zen Master)

Source: Plum Village Practice Center

沒有留言: