2008年12月20日星期六

Only a Chimpanzee

Gregoire, the oldest chimpanzee in Congo, Africa, passed away a few days ago. The e-mail from Jane Goodall Institute subjected "Sad News" summarizes his life and personality and provides a link to a video and more information about Gregoire. For a moment I did wonder if this has gone too far: after all he is only a chimpanzee. I caught myself there. What does it mean by "only a chimpanzee"? Does it mean that it is fine for a human being but not for a chimpanzee?

Then I remember the dogs who have shared their life with me. They are not only dogs. They have taught me a great many things that are not taught in school. The joy and sorrow of the cycle of life. The happiness of giving. They are not only dogs.

And to those whom his life has touched, Gregoire is not only a chimpanzee.

沒有留言: