2007年3月22日星期四

Jane & David-the-Chimp

An excerpt from "Reason for Hope" by Jane Goodall:

"When he [David Greybeard, a chimpanzee] left the trail and moved through some dense undergrowth near a stream, I was sure I would lose him... but I found him sitting by the water, almost as if he were waiting for me. I looked into his large and lustrous eyes, set so wide apart... Most primates interpret a direct gaze as a threat; it is not so with chimpanzees. David had taught me that so long as I looked into his eyes without arrogance, without any request, he did not mind...

As David and I sat there, I noticed a ripe red fruit from an oil nut palm lying on the ground. I held it toward him on the palm of my hand. David glanced at me and reached to take the nut. He dropped it, but gently held my hand. I needed no words to understand his message of reassurance... To this day I remember the soft pressure of his fingers. We had communicated in a language far more ancient than words, a language that we shared with our prehistoric ancestor, a language bridging our two worlds."

沒有留言: